Sunday, November 12, 2017

Jamais Vu

11/12/17

Just coming down from the show our little incipient art collective put on this Saturday.  The evening was a success;  The Skunk sold some work, Dorothy managed to get her wonderful surprising piece up on the wall, Rosanna's sculpture was excellent.  I was so relieved to just see my work up and displayed in proper lighting, somewhere other than the hall outside my apartment!  Collaborating with my old friends was great fun, and it was  interesting seeing how other people approach the little problems that arose.  The winding conversations we had about art and philosophy made my blood pump with renewed vigor.

"Is that for sale?"  I both love and fear this question.  Although I was warned to have some prices in mind, I completely neglected to do so, and therefore the few people who asked were left guessing.  I want to hang on to each piece until I truly feel its resolved, and only to let it go to someone who meets a certain criteria.  Then, they have to stay in touch with me for the rest of our lives, and send yearly photos so i can see how the piece is aging and know it is still alive.  Also, I get visiting rights.

I was fortunate to use the services of Unique Framing in Sunset Park for a few simple black frames.  I learned a few things about presentation while hanging this show.   Do not use plexiglass for displaying art, only for protection. The glare was too much.  Also, the piece, "Flight" I was determined to get framed and then serendipitously decided against it at the 11th hour due to cost.  This piece deserves to have a creatively handmade frame, and not glass, the way I had planned. Glass flattens, and the sexy texture is lost.  I love the idea of frames as art and framing in general is a satisfying piece of closure.  I wish I had a little wood shop where I could make them without fear of getting sawdust in my food and paint.  Yet another thing to dream on.











No comments: