Saturday, February 11, 2017

Fire Hydrants


Back to the blogosphere, for better or for worse.  Today, I am working on the second of these two images.  The theme shared by the two is "fire hydrants".  The above drawing was sold to someone along the way.  I continue to be inspired by fire hydrants due to their form, function, ubiquity, variety, color, texture, and symbolic value.  The second image is a painting that I am calling "Palimpsest".  This image originated as a collage of failed peices, that I then refined into a chaotic colorful mishmosh, and then painted a fire hydrant on top, leaving only the texture of the collage remaining.  I did not consider this a successful piece, and this morning, I awoke with the inspiration to sand it down, and trying to replicate the surfaces and textures I observe all over the city.  Last night, on the Lower East Side, I felt warm and fuzzy looking at the brick walls covered with layer after layer of graffiti, each layer eroded down to a partial clean slate for the next.  Posters, once wheat pasted to the avenue corners and dumpsters, now torn away by forces of wind rain and humanity. 

No comments: