Monday, November 12, 2018

Marcel Dzama/ Ralph Bakshi

 



Marcel Dzama is an artist that was recommended to me during one of our group critiques.  I was told to look for his work on instagram, as a lot of it is deliberately undocumented by the artist.  I was able to find plenty about him on-line and listened to a podcast by Zwirner Gallery, which represents him.

  The anachronistic aspect, the cast of characters, and a general underpinning of mischief are of note.   He works in a mind-boggling array of media, which is inspiring at this time, when I oddly find myself open to working in installation, performance, and possibly "social scultpture".  The idea of interactivity has taken on a rich meaning, especially after these newly present opportunities to incorporate viewer responses into the evolution of the work.

Paul C. sent me a link for Paul Bakshi, an animator.  He speaks to cartoons and fantasy, and the far-reaching capacity of animation beyond the domain of children.  Paul also knows a simple way of making animation that sounds way too labor intensive, but I would love to learn how to execute this method he described.

I am too immersed in casting now to even think about another medium at the moment!

No comments: