Friday, October 5, 2018

Encaustic Birthday party.

      What a suprise this was!! My birthday is Labor Day weekend, so usually most of the world is out of town, and this year was no different.  Raya asked me to keep a day late in the month open, and to bring two images that I would want to work with, and to meet her at the Bed Bath and Beyond in Sunset Park. What the ...?

     When I arrived, she brought me up to the top of the stairs and through a vast network of service corridors, prompting me to ask if this was "the beyond section"...can't take credit...I stole that from Family Guy.  When we finally arrived at the destination, there was the gang, with food laid out, and all the materials we would need to learn how to make encaustic paintings.  I have been working with microcrystalline for years, but never knew the proper methods.  We used real beeswax, and our teacher showed us all kinds of techniques.

      The best part though was this.

       When Raya, Dorothy, Stacey, and I went to Cuba last New Years, I gave Raya a bra I had purchased which I thought was too uncomfortable. She eventually decided she didn't like it either, so she gave it back. So of course I snuck it into her luggage when we went our separate ways.  Months later, the bra wound up in my coat pocket after some event.  The next time I went to her apartment, I used her bathroom and stuffed it deep between her towels, thinking it would be years before she found it.  Well, the bra showed up in one of my bags not too long after.  Then, we were at a dinner party, and I had packaged the bra in a gift bag, and when I dropped her off near her place in Park Slope, I had my passenger pass the bag to her as an afterthought when she had one foot out of the car, and she wouldn't accept it so we threw it at her. Totally clumsy, but off my hands none the less.

      Among the food items at the encaustic party was a big weird-looking cake piled a little too high with strawberries.  As I cut the cake after blowing out my candles, I was hearing a clinking sound as the knife hit something in the center.  "Thats just the custard." Raya said.  Didn't make any sense, but I kept cutting.  After the cake was divvied out, an upside down glass, the "custard" in the center turned out to be holding...guess what....She got me good, but I am already plotting a spectacular return strategy.




No comments: